Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Guest post by Author Rohit Kumar Singh Jadon


          Almost a year ago, while witnessing one of the largest protest for the women safety in India at Rashtrapati Bhawan, I thought that something will definitely change after this. But a year later, it seems like everything has been forgotten.

          Women are still getting raped at large; there is no stopping the eve teasers. I thought it was the saturation point and that it will all decline from there but it seems like we are way far from reaching the saturation. It saddens me the way our government has responded to all cases that has come up even after the massive protest. I understand when the middle class common men forget all the protest he did, we have thousand other problems to face as well i.e. inflation, managing household in this sinking economy, increasing traffic on the roads, high taxes and the list goes on. But what happened to all the promises that the government made?

          Why can’t Mr. Sushil Kumar Shinde recall the statement he gave in front of media?

          I do understand these number of cases are largely because of the sick mental state of the people of this country but I cannot deny that the inability of our Police department to act swiftly and sometimes inability to act at all has made this mentally sick elements of our society fearless of the laws we have to protect our women.

          I even find it hard to digest a case like, Nirbhaya case, which had all the evidences against the culprit, statement from the victim, took 9 months to come to a judgement.

          Bringing any facts here would be pointless; everyone knows the kind of condition we have in our country today. Women aren’t safe even in the metro cities. Whenever I go out with a female friend I see all those men eyeing them like a wolf looks at his prey. Men almost of the age of their father staring at them, even when the girls look back at them they don’t stop. They consider it a victory when a girl lower her eyes and walk past by them when they stare at her.

          It’s so sick to witness all this.

          While I wrote my book ‘A Country for Men’ I was deeply traumatized knowing some of the facts. I was afraid to go out with my female friends for a couple of weeks, I constantly thought what if something bad happens to her and I’m not able to protect her.

          While writing the book I kept thinking of the solution to this problem.  I didn’t want to write a all-gloomy book but it was so hard find a solution. Our government’s policies are a major failure, our Judiciary and Police just couldn’t cope up with the number of incidents happening everyday and more than 70% of our population still teaches their kids that ‘Men are better than women’.

          This epidemic needs to be cut off right from its head and the only way I see to do that is educate the people. Government needs to send a strong message when it comes to crimes against women; they need to work with NGO’s and Police to make a strong plan of action to protect women.

          But what matters the most is we need to send this message in even in the darkest corner of the country that ‘Men and women are all equal’.

         
NOTE: Author Rohit Kumar shares with us his experiences and his personal feelings regarding the state of women in the country. We thank Mr. Rohit both for this article and the book that he has written! We need more people like you to address this issue, sir!
 
Rohit Kumar Singh Jadon is the author of 'A Country For Men', a non fiction about the various cases of abuse against women. It is a must read for all women to gain confidence and all men, to understand the condition of this nation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a SPAM comment! :)